What to Do If Your Health Is Being Affected
What to Do If Your Health Is Being Affected
This page discusses what to do if you health is being affected by smart meters. It is imperative that you document changes in your health. Information on how to do so is on this page. Please read it, and do what it says.
We also have a page How to Protect Yourself from EMFs, which discusses some of the things you can do to mitigate the harm of EMFs.
- It is essential that you keep a record of your health symptoms. Learn more here.
- Please be sure to email us a list of symptoms you have experienced since smart meter installation. Others need to know what you are experiencing. Personally identifying information will be kept confidential.
- Make sure you document all health changes with your health-care practitioner.
- Consider removing the meter from your home. Learn more here.
- Consider filing a lawsuit under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Do research on what might help make your body better able to withstand the electromagnetic frequencies. There are many bogus products and claims. There are also protocols that seem outlandish but might work. Caveat emptor. We hope to provide information on this in the future. Please email us the results of your investigations and experimentation: What works? What doesn’t work? You will help everyone by providing this information. Our page How to Protect Yourself from EMFs discusses some of the things you can do to mitigate the harm of EMFs.
Documenting Changes in Your Health That
Might Be a Result of Smart Meter Installation
Might Be a Result of Smart Meter Installation
This information is available as a PDF here.
You should record changes in your health for any or all of the following reasons:
- For your health-care professional.
- For future litigation.
- Data that can be used by researchers.
- Epidemiological studies by us.
- To make a complete record of symptoms experienced by all different people. People experience different things.
Please carefully document your symptoms:
- Date (and time) symptoms began (as precisely as you are able, whether exact day or month, etc.) or when previous health problems were exacerbated.
- Date smart meter installed on your home or in your neighborhood or workplace. If you don’t know the date, you can call DTE or Consumers to get this info. We suggest you call them after you write down the date symptoms first began because then you are not being influenced by their response.
- You should also find out when smart meters were installed in your workplace or any other place where you spend more than 20 minutes a day. Smart meters might have been installed in your workplace long before they were installed on your home. In addition, digital meters at your workplace could cause the same problems as smart meters, not to mention Wi-Fi, etc.
- Health effects experienced since installation. Please document day-by-day, at least for the first month, then you can begin noting any new symptoms. You can go to our health survey to see an extensive but non-inclusive list of symptoms. You can find some of the additional symptoms people experience here. Many health problems you might not think are related to smart meters can be—for instance, cataracts and gingivitis.
- Pre-existing conditions, if any.
- Pre-existing sensitivities to other devices (e.g., cell phones, fluorescent lights).
- Keep a daily log for at least the first month. If symptoms reach a plateau at some point (after the one-month period has passed), then just write down date and time of new symptoms, where you were, what you were doing. Many people find that after some period of time, they become more and more sensitive to all sorts of things.
- Please send us this information after 1 month and again several months later. We need this information to document how these meters are affecting people as we move forward both with lawsuits and with legislation.
- Consider having endocrine tests (especially thyroid) done yearly.
- If you have been experiencing trouble sleeping, anxiety, or other health problems prior to smart meter installation, it might be due to Wi-Fi in your home or workplace, cell phone usage, or cordless (especially DECT) phones in your home or at your workplace. If a cell phone tower was installed near your home or workplace, this could also be a cause. Note when symptoms started and when you were first exposed to these things. To find out many of the cell towers in your area, go to http://antennasearch.com. This won’t show the small towers, which may be hidden in a church steeple or in the façade of a building, but it will show many.
- We would appreciate you taking our health survey.
Please be aware that the opt-out meter is not a lot better than the smart meter. See our page on dirty electricity.
We also urge you to begin talking to neighbors, friends, and co-workers. Others may be experiencing health problems from the meters but not know it. Our website has tons of info. You can also flyer your neighborhood with our flyers and begin to get family, friends, neighbors, etc to sign our petition, also found here. The petition is quite important.
For more info, contact SmartMeterEducationNetwork@gmail.com, 734-972-2677.The Smart Meter Education Network, Michigan.
Newsletter, Facebook—Stay Up to Date
Stay up to date by subscribing to our newsletter (it comes out every 1 to 4 weeks). We constantly update our website, so check back often. You can find updates and time-sensitive actions to take under our “Alerts and Breaking News” box. We also use Facebook to send out quick news updates. (While we understand the privacy concerns with Facebook, at this point in time it is a useful tool for us, and is a great way to spread the word about smart meters. If you only wish to use Facebook for access to our updates, you can get an account without revealing personal information—it’s all in what you choose to share, and you can give them any name or birthdate you like.)
Our newsletter comes out every 1 to 4 weeks. It will keep you informed and tell you what actions you can take to fight smart meters. Note that most email programs will filter out our newsletter unless you adjust your email settings. Even though you may receive individual emails from us, when we send the newsletter out to a large group, the emails may be placed in a folder other than your inbox. This happened to us! We weren’t even getting our own newsletter.. Please make sure you look for emails from smartmetereducationnetwork@ gmail. com in your Promotions, Spam, Junk, or other folders. Please contact your email provider to learn how to adjust your settings, or search on the internet.
Terms to Know
Advanced meter: smart meter (term used by DTE to hide the fact it is a smart meter).
AMI meter and AMI program: another name for the smart meter and the smart meter program. AMI stands for advanced metering infrastructure.
Blood-brain barrier: EMFs can cause the blood-brain barrier to be breached, allowing toxins to enter the brain. Toxin entry is thought to be partially responsible for Alzheimer’s, dementia, and Parkinson’s.
Dirty electricity: spiky, pulsed electromagnetic field generated by smart meters that rides through building wiring and permeates the building’s rooms. Responsible for many of the health problems seen with smart and digital meters.
Electromagnetic fields (EMFs): consist of an electrical field and a magnetic field. Fields are created by the flow of electrical current through the wire, sunlight, etc.
Electromagnetic frequency: examples are 60 Hz electrical current of your home, RF of a cell phone. Often used interchangeably with electromagnetic field.
Electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS): sensitivity to electromagnetic fields. Symptoms are complex and involve all bodily systems
Hydrogen bonds: Electrostatic bonds that help hold the DNA double helix together. Breakage of hydrogen bonds may cause changes in DNA that can lead to cancer. RF and other EMFs may disrupt the Hydrogen bonds.
Meter upgrade: the installation of an advanced (smart) meter on your home by DTE.
Microwave radiation: the type of radiation emitted by smart meters. Known to cause biological harm.
Non-transmitting meter: another name for the DTE and Consumers opt-out meters.
Opt-out meter: this is a smart meter. The only thing that is different is the radio-transmitter is turned off. It still generates dirty electricity, it still retains the two antennas, and it is only incrementally less harmful to your health. It can still record detailed information about your electrical usage.
Radio-disabled meter: another name for the DTE opt-out meter.
Radio-off meter: another name for the DTE opt-out meter.
Radiofrequency (RF): high-frequency electromagnetic waves in the range of 10 MHz to 300 Ghz. All wireless devices, including smart meters, cell phones, and Wi-Fi emit RF.
Switched mode power supply: contained in all smart meters, it creates dirty electricity.
van der Waals bonds: an extremely weak electromagnetic force that helps hold the DNA double helix together. Breakage of the van der Waals bond may cause changes in DNA that can lead to cancer. RF and other EMFs can disrupt the van der Waals bonds.