What You Can Do to Help Stop Smart Meters
Your actions matter! Every individual matters. Take action now!
- Read everything on this website so you understand smart meters and dirty electricity.
- Keep the smart meter and opt-out smart meter off your home. If you have a smart meter or opt-out meter, consider removing it.
- Flyers and Petitions. Download and print our flyers and petitions for distribution. This is a very effective way to get the word out. You can give them to neighbors, go to other towns and leave them on doorsteps, post them on bulletin boards and give them to your doctor.
- Petition. Our petition is a great way to introduce people to the topic of smart meters. You can get friends and family to sign or go door-to-door. Most people are interested and willing to sign because the petition is about choice. Learn more about how easy it is to get signatures.
- Talk. Talk to everyone about smart meters and opt-out meters. A calm, rational, neutral conversation works best. Give them a flyer so they can do more investigation.
- Organize a Talk. Schedule a talk on smart meters for your group, neighborhood, city council, etc. We will help you get it rolling! Read our page How to Schedule Talks. Then contact us.
TV, Radio, and the Media
- Tell the Media You Want to Hear About Smart Meters and the Health Problems They Are Causing. The media will cover stories that people are interested in. That means they need to hear from you! We have had several TV interviews because of people contacting the media. Contact all sorts of media outlets—TV, newspapers, radio, free papers and magazines. Tell them you want to hear about smart meters, and tell them why. Tell them about why the opt-out won’t help. Tell them how the meters are making you sick, if they are. Let us know who you’ve contacted. Click here for a list of contacts (we need someone to compile this list—can you do this?)
- Have connections? What about local cable, Dr. Oz, etc.? Be creative!
Government Officials & Legislation
- Get your city council or board of county commissioners to pass a resolution against smart meters and the (opt-out) nontransmitting meters. Read our page on how to do this and why it is important for both legislation and cour cases, then contact us for more information. Please also contact David Sheldon of Michigan Stop Smart Meters at 604-7545 (area code 248). David has very effectively presented before city councils. As of this writing about 30 municipalities have passed resolutions against smart meters. It takes a citizen to initiate this.
- Help get the Analog Choice bill passed. Write, call, and personally talk to your legislators and all other officials you can think of (city, county, national). This is why you want to read everything on our website—so you can talk intelligently. Contact us if you want to work with a group on this. If you write a letter, forward it to us. Forward responses from government officials. We need to know where your representative stands.
Lawsuits and the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Help fund our expenses as well as a class action lawsuit.
- If you are being made ill by the meters, please contact us and take our health survey. We need this data to mount a strong case in our lawsuit.
- If you are a lawyer or know a lawyer who might help, please get in touch with us.
Volunteer with Us!
- Volunteer—Your skills are valuable and will help us win this fight. Skills needed include talking to people, content writing, proofreading, marketing, and database entry. Whatever you can offer, whether it be 10 minutes or 10 hours a week, will make a difference. This is entirely a volunteer-based group.
- Keep a log of your health symptoms, even if you feel you aren’t being affected. For some people, it takes a year or more for symptoms such as gingivitis, cataracts, heart problems, and cancer to manifest. See our page on Documenting Changes in Your Health.
Newsletter, Facebook—Stay Up to Date
Stay up to date by subscribing to our newsletter (it comes out every 1 to 4 weeks). We constantly update our website, so check back often. You can find updates and time-sensitive actions to take under our “Alerts and Breaking News” box. We also use Facebook to send out quick news updates. (While we understand the privacy concerns with Facebook, at this point in time it is a useful tool for us, and is a great way to spread the word about smart meters. If you only wish to use Facebook for access to our updates, you can get an account without revealing personal information—it’s all in what you choose to share, and you can give them any name or birthdate you like.)
Our newsletter comes out every 1 to 4 weeks. It will keep you informed and tell you what actions you can take to fight smart meters. Note that most email programs will filter out our newsletter unless you adjust your email settings. Even though you may receive individual emails from us, when we send the newsletter out to a large group, the emails may be placed in a folder other than your inbox. This happened to us! We weren’t even getting our own newsletter.. Please make sure you look for emails from smartmetereducationnetwork@ gmail. com in your Promotions, Spam, Junk, or other folders. Please contact your email provider to learn how to adjust your settings, or search on the internet.
Terms to Know
Advanced meter: smart meter (term used by DTE to hide the fact it is a smart meter).
AMI meter and AMI program: another name for the smart meter and the smart meter program. AMI stands for advanced metering infrastructure.
Blood-brain barrier: EMFs can cause the blood-brain barrier to be breached, allowing toxins to enter the brain. Toxin entry is thought to be partially responsible for Alzheimer’s, dementia, and Parkinson’s.
Dirty electricity: spiky, pulsed electromagnetic field generated by smart meters that rides through building wiring and permeates the building’s rooms. Responsible for many of the health problems seen with smart and digital meters.
Electromagnetic fields (EMFs): consist of an electrical field and a magnetic field. Fields are created by the flow of electrical current through the wire, sunlight, etc.
Electromagnetic frequency: examples are 60 Hz electrical current of your home, RF of a cell phone. Often used interchangeably with electromagnetic field.
Electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS): sensitivity to electromagnetic fields. Symptoms are complex and involve all bodily systems
Hydrogen bonds: Electrostatic bonds that help hold the DNA double helix together. Breakage of hydrogen bonds may cause changes in DNA that can lead to cancer. RF and other EMFs may disrupt the Hydrogen bonds.
Meter upgrade: the installation of an advanced (smart) meter on your home by DTE.
Microwave radiation: the type of radiation emitted by smart meters. Known to cause biological harm.
Non-transmitting meter: another name for the DTE and Consumers opt-out meters.
Opt-out meter: this is a smart meter. The only thing that is different is the radio-transmitter is turned off. It still generates dirty electricity, it still retains the two antennas, and it is only incrementally less harmful to your health. It can still record detailed information about your electrical usage.
Radio-disabled meter: another name for the DTE opt-out meter.
Radio-off meter: another name for the DTE opt-out meter.
Radiofrequency (RF): high-frequency electromagnetic waves in the range of 10 MHz to 300 Ghz. All wireless devices, including smart meters, cell phones, and Wi-Fi emit RF.
Switched mode power supply: contained in all smart meters, it creates dirty electricity.
van der Waals bonds: an extremely weak electromagnetic force that helps hold the DNA double helix together. Breakage of the van der Waals bond may cause changes in DNA that can lead to cancer. RF and other EMFs can disrupt the van der Waals bonds.